Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year

From MeiTeng at http://www.sxc.hu/profile/MeiTeng

It's the new year upon us now, all over the world we are now in 2012. Rather than looking forward to the future I'd like to look back at the past, 2011 specifically. See, 2011 was the first time that I started blogging as well as the year where I got my FaceBook and Twitter accounts.It's also the year where both myself and my sister graduated university. I read many books, wrote many things, and thought about even more. 
Before we get too much into 2012 I'd like to pass on some advice that I learnt in 2011. It's not new advice but it's something that I think we should be reminded of every day. The advice is: there is always gonna be haters. 
To me, this means that no matter what you do or where you go there is going to be people who don't like what you do or who you are. Whether it's people dissing your music or complaining about your sexuality or just being a prick to you because of the way you dress, haters gonna hate. Now, when you realise this you could spiral into a pit of depression but think of it another way: people are going to hate what you do no matter how hard change to please people, so there's no point in chancing yourself for them. Just after you pretend to like a different band and buy all new clothing you'll meet someone who hates all of that, and you change again. And again. And again. 
So when you think about it, there's no point in changing to please someone else. 
So don't!
As a writer this advice is particularly help. It made me realise that I shouldn't try to write a certain way to please some critics because it's just going to piss off some others. So I'm just going to write for me. If you like it, that's great. But if you think I'm too snarky, too serious, or too un-funny then you're more than welcome to leave. I hope you don't, but I'm not going to change myself for you :D

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment