Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Top Female Characters on TV #11 (BEDA #14)

Here is my number eleven entry for my series Top Female Characters on TV: Cordelia Chase from Buffy, the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

Oh Cordelia. Here’s a fact that you don’t know about me: when I’m having a down day I watch the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode ‘Out of Mind, Out of Sight’ and the Angel episode ‘RM W/ A Vu’ because Cordy is just so epic win in those episodes. There are many episodes where she rocks, but those two are my favourites and she is just so good in them! Cordelia started out as Buffy’s foil but with Joss at the helm you knew that she wouldn’t be that way for long. It’s at the end of the first season that we see the true Cordelia emerging: her home life isn’t that hot shot so she surrounds herself with people who pretend to like her so she won’t be alone. At the end of the season she accepted that the world is not what she had been told, and she fights alongside the Scooby Gang, a job that puts her in danger every week it seemed.
Cordy wasn’t the smartest or the strongest, but she knew what was right and just kept plugging away. I may get vilified by this comment, but I feel that Cordy resonates with us because she is the woman we want to be. No, we don’t all want to be obnoxious or mean to people, but we all know that we can be, but we want to be able to get past the bad that we have done and just do what is right. Doing what is right for everyone, and Cordy knows that too and she has been punished for doing the right thing, from losing friends to actual brain injury, but she does it nonetheless.
I have been very vocal about my hatred for the Cordelia of season four of Angel, and as Cordy lover I still feel betrayed by the writers for the horrible trick that they played on us. They were almost redeemed when Cordy returned as her usual self in the 100th episode, but personally I felt it was too little too late.
What do you all think about Cordelia? She was one of the characters that I forgot to add on my poll of my favourite female character in a TV series and no one else added her, either. Let me know what you think in the comments. 

Kathy

Themes: Cordelia Chase, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Top Female Characters on TV

No comments:

Post a Comment