Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Movie Time! Rise of the Planet of the Apes (BEDA #8)

A lot of people have been talking about this movie lately, and there was a lot of hype about it, too. I went and saw it the other night and it was pretty good. Not a movie I'll rush out to see again, but one I wouldn't mind seeing again if the opportunity arose.

As the title suggests, Rise is about what happens before The Planet of the Apes, and how humanity got to that point. James Franco is a brain scientist (it's always the scientists) whose father is suffering from Alzheimer's (and can't drive, this is important later in the movie because Franco forgets this fact). Super smarty that he is, Franco sets out to find the cure, a process which involves animal testing.

Some people think that the point of the film is to treat animals with more respect and kindness, but to me it's more 'be afraid of them', because Monkeys on Crack is no laughing matter. Sure, Caesar was cute and all when he was little and swinging around his room, but he scared the sh*t outta me when he was in a mood. You think your teenager has mood swings, you should see what this fella does when someone pokes his 'grandfather*' in the chest.

The special effects in this movie where breathtaking, and I applaud all who were involved. The cast were fantastic, especially Franco and John Lithgow. Tom Felton didn't get to show his acting chops, but I did hate his character so that's something. Andy Serkis did a fantastic job as Caesar, but we already knew that he would.

I have yet to see the original films, but I picked up a few hints to them based off what I know from pop culture references (in one scene Caesar has made a model of the Statue of Liberty). This was a very well done film and I think you should see it at the cinemas if you get the opportunity.

Has anyone else seen the film and want to share their thoughts? Let me know in the comments.

Kathy

Themes: Rise of the Planet of the Apes, James Franco, John Lithgow. Tom Felton, David Hewlett, Andy Serkis


*'Grandfather' who has Alzheimer's and was driving a strangers car into the cars parked around it.

2 comments:

  1. You missed a few main points in this post..

    1) DAVID HEWLETT!
    2) Ty Olsson (You may not know him. But I'm a fan)
    3) David Hewlett
    4) Mike Dopud

    Oh and this is a reboot of the original series. This takes place as a parallel universe to the originals.

    It's hard to make a prequel to a series of movies that in itself loops around to make a cyclical story.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, David Hewlett was one of the best things about the film. Did you see him in that sleeveless shirt? *sigh*

    Oh Mike, he is awesome. And Zeppy and I noticed Ty when he came on screen; major fan squeeing.

    I like that the originals are cyclical, it's a really intelligent way to make a time travel story.

    ReplyDelete